Everyone has that one person in his life who negatively does things, thinks and talks negatively, pessimistic about situations, and complains about almost everything— even the essence of their being. I’m sure you have a person like this around you. It could be a close friend, family member, a friend, an acquaintance, or even your boss or a co-worker. You could label these kinds of idiosyncrasies as “toxic” and you should learn to keep a distance away from them. You should allow them to dust you with their “poisonous” mindset. Moving around negative people with a different attitude to situations will also affect the way you look and handle situations— you become affected with cynicism, and your mind becomes sardonic. In other words, it affects your idiosyncrasy.
Whatever may have been the cause of their gloominess and cynicism, you may still need to protect yourself from their venomous attitude at times.
Being able to identify or spot their harmful behavior is the first step to lessen their impact. You might not be able to change what they do, but you can change what you do with it, and any idea that toxic people in your life might have that he can get away with it.
There are plenty of things toxic people do to manipulate people and situations to their advantage. Here are 7 of them. Knowing them will help you to avoid falling under the influence:
- Don’t be Lured in: Dealing with this kind of people can be as frustrating as anything that pisses you off; a pest or an insect. As usual, this kind of person complains continually about others, always accusing you of not giving them some love or attention or something. You can’t just get them satisfied.
You have to resist the urge to jump onto the same train they are riding in— the train of toxicity. You simply don’t have to react. Just leave it at saying “I am sorry”.
- Move on Without Them: Have you ever received a couple of phone calls or comments on any of your social media posts from certain kinds of people whose talks or comments are nothing but sounds of shit that makes you downcasted or feel bad about what you’ve done or posted on your page? You don’t need to give a damn about what they say or write in the comment box. It is conspicuous that these are crystal clear toxic people. They are simply envious of your doings. All you need to do is to delete them every way they connect to your life.
When you eradicate these pesky pests from your environment, it makes breathing a lot easier for you. In other words, you can move on without them and fulfill your potentials. Mix with healthy people.
- Don’t Be Manipulated by Them: Do not let your emotions or pity of these people take control of your rationale. It could be your boss or an elder family who is always getting on your nerves. But to be honest, if it is a family, you don’t need to like them; you just need to “love” them for family sake. They tend to control your mind and manipulate you into doing things you shouldn’t do. You should just not let this happen. Do not let dark minds stain a bright mind. You should be at the driver’s seat of your mind, not some people persuading you into actions you shouldn’t take. After all, you don’t owe anybody anything.
- Guide Your Pride and Dignity: People with a toxic attitude are polluters of one’s dignity and pride. They mock, bully, and downgrade people even in public. You shan’t allow such to happen to you of you have a toxic person around you. Keep your pride and see yourself way above their league. You should pity them not them pitying you.
- It is not Your Job to Cure Their Toxicity: Toxicity is a disease— a psychological disease. And you’re not its doctor or physician so you shouldn’t see it as your priority to bring them out the mess they are in.
However, these people who have this toxic attitude are also great actors. They put on an act when they need your attention or anything else. They ask for your handkerchief to wipe their tears or ask for your shoulder to cry on or lending them an ear. Simply do not give in to their deceitful tricks. That way you avoid them and keep a permanent distance.
Solving their problems is not your job. Albeit, you can direct them to a therapist.
- Think About Yourself First: In some situations when you’re forced to get close to a toxic person, you don’t have to worry much if you don’t have a choice or can’t control the situation. It could either be a family or a partner your boss has assigned to you at work. You simply don’t have to give a damn about how much stress you’ll face with these people. You just have to let your mind be at ease and avoid theirs as much as you can. You need to think about your feelings, create enough time to relax, rest, and recuperate. You deserve to think peacefully. Don’t let anyone rush you or get your nerves. Listen to some music and sleep. Don’t fall sick because of some people’s attitude.
Lastly, you can also talk to them about their toxicity or try to change their idiosyncrasies. But if you can’t, don’t bother. You don’t deserve to be infected by there toxicity.